Sunday, October 08, 2006

Natalie Portman is Audrey's "clone," but Audrey was a Martian anyway

I've seen these articles come into my inbox quite a few times now, so I thought I'd share. Apparently Natalie Portman wearing Audrey's dress is a big deal, leading many to call her our generation's Audrey Hepburn and Audrey's clone. Unlike some starlets, Natalie has openly admitted that she could never fill Audrey's shoes and doesn't even want to try, which is nice and refreshing and really what people need to hear. She has also said she would never play Audrey in a biopic, so get that idea out of your head. Audrey clone or not though, we could do a lot worse on role models for young women. To view the article, click here.

Another article I'd like to share starts out as a review for the Spoto biography, but quickly morphs into something completely different. It's a sort of lovesong for Audrey and her uniqueness, and it's very lovely. The author even throws in a brief -- but very good -- biography of Audrey at the end, which would make it very hard for any casual reader to not be curious about her afterwards. The article can be found here.

The last article is just a quick add-on. Its main point is that Audrey always seems to be in style, which is nice, but I was personally very intrigued by the last half of the piece. It compares Audrey with the starlets of today, especially the D-listers like Paris Hilton (may I never mention her name again) and Jessica Simpson. The interesting part is the author's hypothesis that even Audrey herself wouldn't have emerged unscathed from the tabloid machines today, who take any innocuous happening and turn it into the basest trash. That's something I've always wondered about myself, really. You can read the full story here.

And if this doesn't make you mad (or ill), nothing will.


I know it's old, but it never ceases to be irritating. What was it Mag Wildwood said about "a piece of cheap Hollywood trash"?

3 comments:

Ankit said...

Please... Please... remove the photo of Pa*** Hil*** (I dont say her name as I dont curse :-))... She doesn't deserve to be here...

The Fabulous Audrey Hepburn said...

Hah! Very true. But if I had to suffer and see this picture, so do other people. ;) Hopefully, it'll also serve to remember that Audrey can't be copied in clothes alone. She has that charm and class that you-know-who could never hope to match.

maggie said...

ughhhh. i can't stand it when people try to be the next audrey (ex: jlh & paris hilton), grace kelly, marilyn monroe (lindsey lohan & megan fox) or even carrie bradshaw (hannah montana girl)! old hollywood can't be copied (which is a reason why it's called old). i'm just happy that paris h. didn't wear the dress from sabrina because that movie is my favorite :)